It is impossible to be familiar with all disabilities or know how each may impact an individual's life. In this area you will find a variety of Fact Sheets that offer information on a number of disabilities.
– Delaware specific resource
- Acquired Brain Syndrome
- Aicardi Syndrome
- Alopecia Areata
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)
- Angelman Syndrome
- Anxiety & Depression
- Asperger Syndrome
- Blindness or Visual Impairment
- Bipolar Disorder
- Celiac Disease
- Cerebral Palsy
- Cleft Lip or Palate
- Cystic Fibrosis
- Deaf and Blindness
- Deafness and Hearing Loss
- Downs Syndrome
- Emotional Disorder
- Eating Disorder
- Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders
- Fragile X Syndrome
- Hallerman-Streiff Syndrome
- Heart Issues
- Intellectual Disability
- Mental Health
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Muscular Dystrophy
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- Orthopedic Impairment
- Rare Disorders
- Sickle Cell Anemia
- Speech and Language Impairments
- Spina Bifida
- Syringomyelia & Chiari
- Spine Disorders
- The Undiagnosed Condition
- Tourette Syndrome
- Traumatic Brain Injury
Acquired Brain Syndrome
- ADA National Network – The ADA, Addiction and Recovery
- Alcoholics Anonymous – Get information on alcohol abuse and find meetings near you.
- Alcohol Use Disorder – Medline Plus — Information on mild to severe alcohol addiction, with many resources.
- Center on Addiction
- Crisis Intervention – DHSS Division of Substance and Mental Health.
- Delaware Division of Substance Abuse and Mental Health (DSAMH) – State agency provides information on alcohol and drug treatment services.
- Disability and Addiction – Addiction Center.
- Drug Abuse Hotline – Resources and numbers you can call when you are ready for help.
- Drug Addition and Federal Disability Rights Laws – When drug addiction is classified as a disability.
- Drug Situation in DE – DEA Intelligence Report
- Help.com – Guide to comprehensive information on available drug and alcohol care options, financial support, and free resources that are available in Delaware.
- National Institute on Drug Abuse – NIH
- Opioids and Adolescents – U.S. Department of Health & Human Services
- SAMHSA National Helpline – Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration – Information on tobacco, alcohol and drugs. 1-800-662-4357
- Substance Use Disorders – (SAMHSA) Substance abuse for people with physical an sensory disabilities.
- Three Hobbies to Try During Addiction Recovery – Rehab Village.
- What Is Addiction? – American Psychiatric Association
- When is Drug Addiction a Disability? – U.S. Dept. Health and Human Services.
- Nemours ADHD – Nemours child behavioral specialists
- CHADD – Children and Adults with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder. Find loads of info on ADD and AD/HD. Info available in English and in Spanish.
- National Resource Center on AD/HD. A service of CHADD. Info available in English and in Spanish.
- Attention Deficit Disorder Association
- How is parenting children with ADHD different?
- Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder: What should you know? – CDC
- Teaching Students with ADHD
- AD/HD instructional strategies and practices – From the U.S. Department of Education
- How to help and support impulsive students.
- Aids Delaware
- Aids Hotlines – Delaware 800-422-0429
- Delaware HIV Consortium
- Ryan White Program
- Together We are Greater Than Aids
- Aids Alliance for Children Youth and Families
- CDC Fact Sheets – Center for Disease Control
- HIV and Youth – CDC
Albinism / Hypopigmentation
- Albinism – NIH
- Cause of Albinism – American Academy of Ophthalmology
- National Organization for Albinism & Hypopigmentation – NOAH, National Organization for Albinism and Hypopigmentation
- Amputee Coalition – An organization that reaches out to and empowers people affected by limb loss to achieve their full potential through education, support and advocacy, and to promote limb loss prevention.
- Amputee Forum
- American Board for Certification in Orthotics, Prosthetics & Pedorthics
Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)
- Angelman Syndrome – NIH
- Angelman Syndrome Foundation – Angelman syndrome is a severe neurogenetic disorder that shares symptoms and characteristics similar to those associated with other disorders including autism, cerebral palsy, Prader-Willi syndrome.
- Foundation for Angelman Syndrome Therapeutics (FAST)
Anxiety & Depression
- Nemours Kids Health – If worries become overwhelming, you may feel that they're running your life. If you spend an excessive amount of time feeling worried or nervous, or you have difficulty sleeping because of your anxiety, pay attention to your thoughts and feelings.
- Anxiety & Depression Association of America – Anxiety is a normal part of childhood, and every child goes through phases. A phase is temporary and usually harmless. But children who suffer from an anxiety disorder experience fear, nervousness, and shyness, and they start to avoid places and activities.
- National Alliance on Mental Illness – NAMI Anxiety Disorders
- Juvenile Arthritis Delaware
- Juvenile Arthritis – Juvenile arthritis (JA) is an umbrella term used to describe the many autoimmune and inflammatory conditions that can develop in children ages 16 and younger.
- Juvenile Arthritis Fact Sheet – National Arthritis Foundation
- National Arthritis Foundation
Asperger Syndrome – also see Autism
An Autistic Homeschooled Geek
Life As A Teenage Aspie
- Autism Delaware – Find assistance in Delaware
- Delaware Autism Program – Christina School District
- Autism Society of America
- Autism Speaks
- Autistic & Unapologetic
- Global Autism Collaboration
- Interactive Autism Network
- National Autism Center
- OAR – Organization for Autism Research.
- Online Autism Test – Psych Center.
- Sexuality and Relationships
- Symptoms and Signs of Autism – Easter Seals.
- Autism After 16 – Resources for emerging adults with ASD and their families.
- Autism Challenging Behaviors Tool Kit – Autism Speaks.
- Autism Speaks - Tool Kits with lots of helpful information.
Blindness or Visual Impairment
- Delaware Division for the Visually Impaired
New Castle County
Herman M. Holloway, Sr. Campus
1901 North DuPont Highway
New Castle, DE 19720
Voice: (302) 255-9800
Fax: (302) 255-4441
Fax (eye reports only): (302) 255-9921
TDD: (302) 255-9854
Kent and Sussex County Counties
Milford State Service Center - Annex
13 SW Front Street
Milford, DE 19963
Voice: (302) 424-7240
Fax: (302) 422-1419
- American Council of the Blind – The American Council of the Blind strives to increase the independence, security, equality of opportunity, and quality of life, for all blind and visually-impaired people.
- American Foundation for the Blind – Expanding possibilities for people with Blindness.
- American Printing House for the Blind
- American Macular Degeneration Foundation
- Canine Partners for Life
- Education for Students with Blindness or Visual Impairment – Entire section of Perkins School for the Blind's website.
- Foundation Fighting Blindness
- Lighthouse International
- National Braille Association
- National Braille Press
- National Federation of the Blind
- National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped, Library of Congress
- National Eye Institute
- Prevent Blindness America
- Nemours Kids Health – About Cancer - Different kinds of cancer have different signs, symptoms, treatments, and outcomes, depending on the type of cell involved and the degree of uncontrolled cell growth.
- Cancer Care Connection – Coaches people affected by cancer to obtain and use information and referrals to make informed decisions and to take action on their own behalf.
- Cancer Support Community – Ensures that all people impacted by cancer are empowered by knowledge, strengthened by action and sustained by community.
- About Children with Cancer – National Institutes of Health guides, treatments, clinical trial and more.
- American Cancer Society
- Cancer in Children – They types of cancer that appear I children most often are different from those that appear in adults.
- CDC Cancer Prevention and Control – Center for Disease Control
- Cerebral Palsy Guidance – A comprehensive informational website about Cerebral Palsy. It's mission is to provide quality cerebral palsy Information and assistance for families in need.
- Kids Health from Nemours – Nemours CP information.
- Nemours Gait and Motion Analysis Laboratory
- UCP of Delaware
- CDC Cerebral Palsy – Center for Disease Control.
- Cerebral Palsy Guide – This guide offers extensive information on CP from a medical perspective.
- My Child – The Ultimate Resource.
- Medline's CP fact sheet
- National Institute on Neurological Disorders and Stroke – NINDS.
- Cerebral Palsy and Sex
- United Cerebral Palsy
- Woodbine House - Commercial publisher with Cerebral Palsy book series.
Cleft Lip/ Palate
- Cleft Advocate – Resources. You are not alone.
- Delaware Oral Health Cleft Lip and Cleft Palate – State of Delaware Public Health
- CDC Birth Defects – Cleft Lips and Palate
- Cleft Foundation – Filipino Cleft Lip/Palate Foundation
- Cleft Palate Foundation – Education, funding, information, referrals and more
- American Cleft Palate Craniofacial Association
- Operation Smile
Deaf and Blindness
- American Association of the Deaf-Blind (AADB)
- Children Who are Deaf-Blind – Newsletter.
- Communication Factsheets for Parents –
- Deafblind International
- FAQs About Deaf-Blindness – American Association of the Deaf and Blind.
- Helen Keller National Center for Deaf-Blind Youths and Adults (HKNC)
- How do Deaf-Blind People Communicate?
- Information About Deaf-Blindness – Personal insights and information from an individual with deaf-blindness.
- National Consortium on Deaf-Blindness (NCDB)
- Self-Determination for Students Who are Deaf-Blind
- Introduction to Sexuality Education for Deaf-Blind and Developmentally Delayed
- The Deaf-Blind Manual Alphabet
- Transition Planning for Students With Deaf-Blindness
- UDS Service Dogs
Deafness and Hearing Loss
- Alexander Graham Bell Association for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing
- American Hearing Research Foundation
- American Society for Deaf Children
- American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA)
- Beginnings – For parents of children who are deaf or hard of hearing.
- Better Hearing Institute
- Cochlear Implants
- Communications Considerations A-Z
- Communication Plan for a Child Who is Deaf or Hard of Hearing
- Deaf Culture Online
- Deaf Hearing Communication Centre – Interpreting Services.
- Delaware Families for Hands & Voices
- Delaware Office of Deaf and Hard of Hearing
- Delaware Relay Service
- Dial 711 – Delaware Relay.
- Dial 711 and Connect to the Universe Booklet – Delaware Relay.
- Dogs for the Deaf
- Hands and Voices
- Hearing Loss Association of America – Delaware Chapter.
- Hearing Loss Association of America
- Listen Up!
- Medline Plus
- National Association of the Deaf
- National Center for Hearing Assessment & Management
- National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders – NIDCD.
- Statewide Program for the Deaf & Blind Student
- Your Child's Hearing Development Checklist
- Skeletal Dysplasia – Nemours Children’s Health
- Nemours Kids Health Little People of America
- Human Growth Foundation
- Dwarf Athletic Association of American
- Dyscalculia – Learning Disabilities Association of America
- Math Learning Disability Resource – Dyscalculia.org
- What is Dyscalculia?
- All about Dysgraphia – Right Diagnosis from Healthy Grades
- What is Dysgraphia? – National Center for Learning Disabilities
- Understanding Dysgraphia Video
Dyslexia, Dysnomia, ADHD Do Not Matter
The Creative Brilliance of Dyslexia
Things Not to Say to Someone With Dyslexia
The True Gifts of a Dyslexic Mind – Ted Talk
- Bookshare – Reading materials for visually impaired.
- Bright Solutions for Dyslexia
- Dyslexia – Mayo Clinic's symptoms, causes, treatment.
- Dyslexia Test for 37 Common Traits – Dyslexia the Gift Davis Dyslexia Association.
- Frequently Asked Questions – International Dyslexia Association.
- Learning Ally – Reading materials for visually impaired.
- Learning Disability Association on Dyslexia – (LDA) Language based learning disability.
- Nemours Kids Health Understanding Dyslexia
- National Center for Learning Disabilities
- Reading Rockets
- Yale Center for Dyslexia
- Dyspraxia – LDA problems with movement, coordination and speech.
- Dyspraxia Foundation
- What is Dyspraxia?
- Mental Health
- NAMI Delaware
- Mental Health Association
- Mental Health Court
- National Alliance on Mental Illness Spanish
- National Mental Health Consumers' Self-Help Clearinghouse
- American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry (AACAP) – Facts for Families, a series in English and Spanish that includes many briefs on specific mental disorders, including the ones mentioned in this publication.
- AACAP Family Resources Spanish
- National Institute of Mental Health
- Anxiety Disorders Association of America
- Center on Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports –The PBIS Center provides research-based information on how to provide behavioral supports to children who need them.
- Conduct Disorders – A soft place to land for battle-weary parents.
- Encyclopedia of Mental Disorders
- Epilepsy Foundation Delaware
- Brain & Life Magazine
- Epilepsy.com – Your premier source of information and guidance on epilepsy, including state and local chapters and support groups.
- National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke – Find detailed medical information on epilepsy, including research, clinical trials being conducted at NIH, helpful organizations, and a long list of related publications.
- Talk About It! A website dedicated to ending the stigma associated with epilepsy through “talking about it.” Lots of info here!
- The Epilepsy Health Center
- Epilepsy Foundation eCommunities
- Teaching Students with Epilepsy: Strategies for Educators
- Tracking My Seizures
- What Happens During a Seizure?
Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders
- CDC Basics about FASDs
- Healthy Children.org – FASD
- National Organization on Fetal Alcohol Syndrome (NOFAS)
- Teaching Students with Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders – Florida Department of Education
Fragile X Syndrome – Martin Bell Syndrome
Life with One of the World's Rarest Syndromes
- Arc of Delaware
- Center for Disabilities Studies
- Delaware Developmental Disabilities Council
- Delaware Division of Developmental Disabilities Services
- American Association on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities – World's most current and authoritative information on intellectual disability, including best practice guidelines on diagnosing and classifying intellectual disability and developing a system of supports for people living with an intellectual disability.
- Division on Autism & Developmental Disabilities – Publications and journals for professionals.
- Learning Disabilities Online
- Learning Disabilities Association
- Medical Home Portal
- National Center for Learning Disabilities
- Reading Rockets
- The Adolescent Health Transition Project
- The Arc of the United States
- Thriving with Intellectual & Developmental Disabilities — Delaware Journal of Public Health
- American Psychiatric Association
- Community Mental Health & Addictions Services – DHSS
- Contact Lifeline – Suicide, sexual assault and crisis services.
- Crisis Intervention – 24 Hour telephone service
If you are having a psychiatric or substance abuse crisis and need assistance, please contact Mobile Crisis Intervention Services (MCIS):
Northern Delaware Hotline, call: 800-652-2929
Southern Delaware Hotline, call: 800-345-6785
- Delaware Division of Substance Abuse and Mental Health (DSAMH) – DSAMH serves the adult (age 18 and older) population in need of publicly funded behavioral health services. Crisis Intervention.
- Do Sensory Processing Issues Get Better Over Time? – Child Mind Institute Resources.
- Help Is Here Delaware – Mental health support and recovery services.
- Mental Health Fact Sheets – Here are some fact sheets and infographics about the prevalence and impact of mental illness.
- Mental Health Association of Delaware
- National Alliance for the Mentally Ill in DE – NAMI.
- Mental Health Association of America
- Soul Medics – Remedy Live chat or speak to compassionate listeners 24/7. You are never alone.
- Transgender Mental Health Issues – Talk Space.
- Nemours Kids Health
- CDC FACTS – Center for Disease Control
- Medline Plus
- Muscular Dystrophy Association
- Quest Magazine – MDA
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- Nemours Kids Health
- Anxiety and Depression Association of America (ADAA)
- Can OCD Wreck Your Sex Life? – Psychology Today.
- International OCD Foundation
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder – (NIH) National Institute of Mental Health
- OCD – Anxiety.org.
- OCD Online
- Psych Central
- Sex May Be A Partial Antidote To Anxiety and OCD – Anxiety.org.
- Sexuality and OCD – Intrusive Thoughts.
- Children and Orthopedic Impairments – Disabled World
- Clubfoot – Mayo Clinic
- Clubfoot – Ortho Info
- Orthopedic Impairments – Project IDEAL
- Poliomyelitis – World Health Organization
- Poliomyelitis (Polio) in Children – CHOP
- ADNP Syndrome or Helsmoortel-VanDerAa Syndrome (HVDAS)
- Association for Glycogen Storage Disease
- Avenues: A National Support Group for Arthrogryposis Multiplex Congenita
- Batten Disease Support & Research Association
- Beckwith Wiedemann Syndrome Children's Foundation
- Dermatitis Herpetiformis
- Disease Info Search
- Genetics Alliance
- Genetic and Rare Diseases Information Center (GARD)
- Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act
- Making Sense of Your Genes: A Guide to Genetic Counseling
- National Organization for Rare Disorders
- U.S. Orphan Drug Act – Recognizing that adequate drugs for rare disorders had not been developed in the U.S. and that drug companies would actually incur a financial loss in developing drugs for rare conditions.
Sickle Cell Anemia
- Nemours Kids Health
- American Sickle Cell Anemia Association
- CDC Fact Sheet – Center for Disease Control
- Children’s Sickle Cell Foundation
- Rethink Sickle Cell Disease
- Sickle Cell Anemia – Mayo Clinic
Speech and Language Impairments
- Speech-Language Impairment – How to Identify the Most Common and Least Diagnosed Disability of Childhood
- American Speech-Language-Hearing Association – ASHA
- National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders
- Childhood Apraxia of Speech Association of North America – CASANA
- National Stuttering Foundation
- Stuttering Foundation
- Common Spine Disorders in Children
- Back Pain in kids and Teens
- Life Rolls On – Improving the quality of life of young people affected by spinal cord injury.
- Sex Health and Sexuality
- Types of Spine Curvature Disorders
Syringomyelia & Chiari
The Undiagnosed Condition
Traumatic Brain Injury - TBI
- Brain Injury Association of Delaware – Support groups are found in each County.
- Brain Injury Rehabilitation Programs
- Delaware Coalition for Injury Prevention -Traumatic Brain Injury and Spinal Cord Injury Prevention Team
- What is the difference between Acquired and Traumatic Brain Injury?
- American Academy of Family Physicians
- Brain Injury Association
- Brain Line
- Family Caregiver Alliance
- National Institute of Neurological Disorders
- National Resource Center for Traumatic Brain Injury
- Sexual Difficulties after TBI and How to Deal With It – Brainline.
- Sexuality after a TBI
- TBI Education
- TBI Recovery Center
- Traumatic Brain Injury
- Traumatic Brain Injury 10 levels of Recovery
- Traumatic Brain Injury Survival Guide